A starbase was a permanent support facility operated by Starfleet, consisting of space stations, drydocks, and/or ground installations. Starbases were hubs of activity and could serve multiple military and civilian functions.
Most Federation starbases were commanded by Starfleet officers, often a flag officer Some, such as Deep Space Station K-7, were under civilian authority.
Federation starbases offered multiple services and amenities, including:
- Starship maintenance, repair, and refitting.
- Starship design and construction.
- Fleet and sector command/coordination.
- Strategic defense.
- Diplomatic, administrative, and legal services.
- Sophisticated medical facilities.
- Crew/supply transfers, trading, and commercial travel.
- Shore leave and recreation.
- Personnel training.